Monday, November 2, 2009

The Tipping Points!


Since when has "tipping" become such a standard almost everywhere you go in American society? I completely understand the art, and it is an art, of the tip. Having worked in the service industry for about 5 years, I totally agree that all tips should be at least 20%! But being a veteran of service, I am almost appalled (did I just use the word appalled?) at the fact that everyone is trying to get in on the tipping game. Its got me to a "tipping point" (big up The Roots) so to speak. Why do we need to tip people who take our money at the door of a lounge or club? Why do people working at the local bagel joint have a tip jar at the register? This brings a whole lot of unwanted pressure to the consumer. Now, I know I sound like Larry David, but I don't need that pressure! The same goes for places like Starbucks. I'm not trying to offend anyone who works at any of these spots, but if we have to start giving these cats tips, what's next? McDonalds? Wendy's?! Cook Out?!! Not at all. These cats need to fall back from the tipping point and simply work. Don't give me a look when I don't put my change in the tip jar. It'll open flood gates of epic proportions. Not to mention, it will lower people's opinion about tipping servers/bartenders alike! Can we reign this one in please?

1 comment:

  1. Haha. They like trips at Sonic! I bought 3 drinks with a $20 and the car hop asked me if I wanted any change back.

    ReplyDelete

link to mba online programs
mba programs